Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Getting to the bottom of it... (Ablative question)

In article ,
"OldSailor" wrote:

"Jere Lull" wrote

The problem with epoxy is that nothing sticks to it well -- the best you
can get is a mechanical bond. If you can be assured that you never will
have to deal with an area again, go with epoxy, but I'll use a good,
fresh polyester for everything else as the next layer will slightly
chemically bond to the previous one to give a greater grip than a pure
mechanical bond.

Jere,
I am puzzled by the above statement. It is not what I thought was generally
accepted.

One of the problems with fibreglass repairs done using polyester resin, is
that secondary bonding (new polyester to old polyester) has poor strength.

I did say "slightly". Having tried to do more work on top of epoxy, I
won't do it again. I used to have a site to cite, but can't find it
off-hand and won't get much time to look for it until sailing season is
over -- I get only one day a week on usenet with the amount of time
we're out.

--
Jere Lull