Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Getting to the bottom of it... (Ablative question)

Jere Lull wrote:

In article .com,
"Skip Gundlach" wrote:

The plot thickens (like epoxy in hot weather)...

Our boat is covered in poorly repaired blisters.

I don't know how, if you hauled the boat for survey and had any kind
of competent surveyor you got a boat that you didn't know was
blistered

When we bought our boat it was 20 years old. The PO had peeled the
bottom and put on 20 coats of epoxy IIRC. When we hauled it for the
survey, the surveyor said there were 'cosmetic' blisters - he pointed
them out to me, and I saw them.

We decided to do nothing.

We've never seen the blisters again.

The max we've seen are a couple around the waterline at the edge of
the epoxy coat.

We've always had the boat either red or blue (alternatively), because
we heard that whales don't like black hulled boats or another color
that I can't remember what it is.

Dang! It's always something, isn't it?

I'd review http://yachtsurvey.com/blisters.htm (again) before you
continue. Our 35 year-old non-epoxy is still fine, and epoxy has serious
drawbacks.

Because you already have a reveal coat, I'd stick with the current
color. No need to get confused whether a patch is the first or second
red layer.

And don't scuff for adhesion -- since there's not much to be had, it IS
intended to be ablative and the fresh coat will chemically etch and bond
-- but only slightly for roughness. No need to remove stuff that's still
good.