posted to rec.boats.paddle
Marsh Jones Marsh Jones is offline

Default Is there any evidence that wing blades improve your speed forsea kayak racing?

ace wrote:
Just wondering if there is unequivical evidence that wing blades work.
I did my first race this week averaging around 6min30 sec for 6 kms.
How much faster can go with wing blades. Im using a soltice gt. Also, i
cant really move my knees up and down in the soltice as cockpit is so
confining.

Go google 'wing paddle efficiency' and you'll find numbers from 4-5% to
10+%. The difference isn't just in the paddle efficiency, though.
Paddling correctly with a wing is a different style than with a
conventional paddle - pure, plain and simple. And a wing paddle rewards
proper technique and *punishes* poor technique.
Solstice GT is probably not the 1st boat that comes to mind for racing.
The cockpit is keyholed to be tight, excellent for touring and touring
bracing, but not really designed for the free body movement preferred by
most racers. The Solstice is designed to lock you in, not let you flex.
Congratulations on your race. That's a very respectable time. How did
it compare to the other boats?

Marsh