Rod McInnis

Default Anyone want to take a shot an an overheating problem?

"Greg" wrote in message
I have a 2002 4 stroke 60 HP Merc.

I happened to have the lower unit off of my 2000 50 Hp Mercury outboard last
night so I was able to refresh my memory on how everything in there looked.

The pump housing has a very short lip on the output that has to mate up with
a rubber hose/coupling to the upper unit. There is not much engagement in
these two pieces. I can see where a problem such as yours would occur if the
rubber coupling did not line up with the pump output. I can picture that
the lower unit would bolt up just fine with the pump output only partially
lined up with the rubber coupling. You would get some water flow but no
pressure.

I would drop the lower unit again and look closely at the rubber coupling.
If the metal lip of the pump housing was pushing against the bottom of the
coupling, instead of going inside it, you might be able to see a line where
the sharp metal pushed against the coupling.

If you are still not sure, try putting a glob of grease around the pump
output. Put it together, take it apart and inspect the grease. If the
coupling went on like it was supposed to it would have displaced all the
grease. If the grease is still there, then you know that things didn't mate
up like they were supposed to

Rod