posted to rec.boats.paddle
Courtney Courtney is offline

Default I need a sea kayak paddle

I would probably check out the 230. If you weren't going to exercise and do
ocean trips I'd go with the 240 since the boat is some what wide and you are
6'3" but since you are going to do these things I wouldn't want extra length
to get in the way. When you go to buy, bring along a measuring tape and
measure the paddle from blade tip to blade tip. I know that Werner and some
others measure their lengths this way, however there are some other
companies that only include the shaft in their length but I'm not sure of
who they are. I still think that a low angle (long blades) paddle is the
way to go. You will definitely get enough power from these types of blades.

Courtney

"jughead" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the tip on the Carlisle paddle.
Courtney I have a Wilderness Systems Tsunami 145 which is around 24.5
inches wide.
I use the kayak for exercise and planning on some ocean trips and
camping trips.
I think I am steering to a more low angle paddle.
I'm also looking at the Aqua-Bound EagleRay or StingRay which is a
narrower blade but longer.
The guy at REI said I should get a 240. The eagle and sting ray Aqua
Bound have long blades so maybe a 230? I could always return it if it
doesn't work out. That is what is good about REI. Makes sense to get a
paddle with pure fiber glass blades. I hear the Cameno is good but
pretty expensive.

If I get a paddle with a more low angle style (Longer but narrower
blade) will I still be able to get a good exceleration out of it to go
against currents and stuff?

Mike

Bill Tuthill wrote:
jughead wrote:

So far I have used a NRS PT paddle, Aqua-Bound paddle (I think Manta).
I'm looking to get either a aluminum shaft Aqua-bound Manta Ray, or a
Werner Skagit paddle. I liked the Mantra Ray. Never tried a Werner but
lots of people swear by them. I definitly want to get something with a
Asymmetrical blade. I'm 6-3 240 pounds.

Werner paddles are great! I own one and used to own several more
until friends lost them. Lightning paddles are also worth

investigating:
http://paddles.com is their website. More color choices than Werner.

However I see that Cascade Outfitters 800-223-7238 is now selling
the Carlisle Simply Magic paddle, made in New Zealand, for under $70.
You can choose 220, 230, and 240 cm length. I have one of these
(I use it for whitewater kayaking) and it is a very good paddle,
even for a price higher than that. Fiberglass shaft, plastic blade.