posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm derbyrm is offline

Default hesitant buyer of wooden boat

What hasn't been mentioned is buying it, stripping off the goodies, and
having a nice bonfire. I'm eyeballing boats in my neighborhood with the
idea that it might be a cheap way to get a trailer.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"floydo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I have recently found an old (1960's?) Penn Yan boat, I think
about 21 ft. Under the false floor I can see that the ribs are rotting
as there is 1/2" of standing water in the boat. It looks to me like the
work to restore this and actually float it would be endless, though it
is a real beauty.
I've done some rough carpentry before, but never anything of this
magnitude, and would not know where to start.
I would like to know where I might get some comprehensive
expertise on what this sort of restoration would entail, including the
replacement of ribs and cedar stripping, and other possible
alternatives for making the hull sound.
I haven't bought the boat yet and am now leaning toward walking
away, as the work seems pretty overwhelming.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Floydo.