Jim

Default 1985 Evinrude 70 HP Lower Unit Cross-Compatibility

I don't know the answers to your questions, but before assuming
this motor is worth repairing, did you get it running as well as
do a compression check on it?

Also, when trying to remove the lower end, did you unbolt the
shaft from under the cowling? If not, the lower unit will not
drop. If you mean you can't get the shaft out of the foot, I
believe it unscrews from the foot. If you already know all of
what I've written, please disregard. :^)

-Jim

Robert A Klopotoski Jr wrote:
Hi folks,

I have a question that I have been having a hard time getting
answered. I have inherited a 1985 Evinrude 70 hp Outboard motor.
Everything on it seems like it is in great shape, with the exception
of the lower unit. It seems that one of the bearings seized up and in
the process it cracked the lower end on both sides and has made it
unusable. I can't even get the shaft out now it is so seized.

I have been looking on ebay for a replacement, but I'm not sure what
the cross-compatability of the parts is. My original thought is that
any lower end from a 65-75HP that isn't electric shift will fit, but I
have gotten some hints that it may not be the case. Can anyone out
there tell me what other years/hp motors I can replace the lower unit
with?

Thanks in advance for any help.