posted to rec.boats.electronics
Kees Verruijt Kees Verruijt is offline

Default Using AIS receiver on Garmin ChartPlotters

David Rinnan wrote:
Really no need to go for the GMR 41 since its basically the same as GMR
21 but with higher power. It is only in rare circumstances you will be
able to benefit from that power, as far as I can tell. Not that the
difference in cost is that big. I recently received my GMR 21 and it is
huge compared to the simrad I have used before. Hopefully better though
because the simrad was just crap.

Yup. My reason to go for a 4KW radome was not so much power (range) but
the narrower beam that goes with a bigger radome. In the case of the
Garmin, the 2KW is the same size and thus has the same beamwidth.

In other words, your capacity to separate out nearby targets (like
multiple ships, buoys, harbor entrances) is way better with a large
receiver.

Let us know how your GMR 21 fares.

--
Kees