posted to rec.boats.electronics
x x is offline

Default johnsnon 3 cyl 70hp rectifier fix for inexpensive

I had my rectifier go bad in the Johnson 3cyl 70hp. Called NAPA for a
replacement, it was $180. Way too ridiculous for a rectifier bridge so I
went down to Radio Shack. They have a couple rectifier bridges so I bought
the large one, took off the stock rectifier, cut off the leads, soldered
them to the new rectifier bridge plus one for a ground wire. I then drilled
a hole into the end of the stock rectifier and mounted the new rectifier
bridge to the old case with a screw, remounted the old rectifier without
wires but with the new rectifier bridge attached, plugged in the wires and
coated it with silicone seal to make it waterproof. Anyway the charging
system works better than it ever has and for less than $3.00 from radio
shack.