posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default 1987 First 235 Great Deal

Joe wrote:
Oh man, if you click on the details you see it is good for nothing but
parts, might as well include the cost of a crusher and a dumpster or
two

Maybe the cost of bronze ports & 2nd hand windlasses is
going to come down in the near future

I'd be more tempted by something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/45-Cu...QQcmdZViewItem
which is at least an uncracked & unbuckled structure. Still
too much money, considering.

Joe wrote:
But look at that fin, looks like it's been shoved up a bit, and the
hull has mushed in and caved around it.

Hard to say from the pics. That's not an unusual shape for a
boat of that era designed to the IOR rule... they had flat
spots in unusual places, and a hull section shaped like a
sherbet glass. Something about the way the rule measured the
"sailing length" which was a mathematical way of trying to
calculate the waterline when heeled. Despite the weird hull,
many boats of this type sail quite well. Other of course
have earned the reputation of being broach coaches. At least
it has an intact rig & a working engine!

Even if the hull is trashed, all those self-tailing winches
cost more than $10K new and could probably be resold fairly
readily.

Anyway, it's a fun game to speculate. I am shopping for
something much smaller, simpler, and less demanding of
project work. I still have tugboat parts in the garage!

DSK