Don White Don White is offline

Default lifelines with out PVC coating?

wrote:
Thanks for the tip.
Not too far from the Binnacle is North Sail. They also do life lines. How
much did the Binnacle charged you for the swaging?
I'll check with them on my next trip, all I have to do is to be careful
about the new rule on the rotary;-)

"Don White" wrote in message

I have been looking before to replace my life lines. In Canada, I found
at Canadian Tires, 9 strands Stainless wire labelled aircraft quality. On
the same rack was the same wire with vinyl covering marked $1.49 per
foot.

I was ready to buy but I did not have the tools for splicing the
(Pelican) end connectors that hooks on the bow and stern pulpits.

I have seen some sailors using SS U-bolts to secure the connections to
the pulpits and stanchions. Not nautically elegant but safe.

Conversely West Marine are showing (Internet) as showing 304 Stainless
Steel 1 X 19 Rigging Wire from $0.79 USD.

What's that term... 'swaging'??
I had the rigger at the Binnacle swage mine two years ago.
http://ca.binnacle.com/index.php?cPath=409_403

I've only gone through that rotary once since the 'new traffic circle'
rules. The thing worked for over 35K trips a day for 50 years. You'd
think they leave it alone...the excuse..the occasional tourist or
visitor got confused.

Anyway...I had 'Jim' provide some hardware (pelican hooks etc...and one
lifeline. can't remember if it all came to $60 something..or $90 something.
The original owner of my Sandpiper 565 had ordered the complete lifeline
package from CL Boatworks but lost one lifeline overboard. That was
it..nothing ever installed until I bought the boat.