Calif Bill Calif Bill is offline

Default Boaters Fess Up in a Survey

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

Missed it by That Much!
Ten percent of boaters say when backing their trailer onto the ramp,
they've backed up too far and caused their tire trailers to fall off
the end of the ramp. People with fishing boats were more likely to make
this mistake than people with pleasure boats (12 percent versus 9
percent, respectively).

Now this I don't get. Most ramps end at some point and either at low
tide or low lake levels you are going to be off the ramp no matter how
much you don't want to do it.

It makes more sense if you read it as fall off the "edge" of the ramp.
It could be a misprint. I've seen some poured concrete ramps that are a
foot or more higher than the beach immediately alongside, and I have
seen on one or two occasions situations where
somebody gets in trouble by getting one wheell over the side of the
ramp. (Once sold a conversion van to a guy, paid for by his insurance
company, to replace a conversion van that he wrecked just exactly that
way. He went off the side of the ramp, and the tide got to this van
before the tow truck did.)

Nope, Chuck. Lots of ramps are not built long enough that at low tide or
low water your trailer wheels go beyond the pavement. And normally there is
a hole at the end of the ramp due to water movement from boats powering on
to the trailer. Makes it hard to pull the trailer up the ramp as the wheels
are sort of hanging in the nether region and the trailer is resting on the
ramp on it's frame.