Dennis Pogson Dennis Pogson is offline

Default lifelines with out PVC coating?

wrote:
I have been looking before to replace my life lines. In Canada, I
found at Canadian Tires, 9 strands Stainless wire labelled aircraft
quality. On the same rack was the same wire with vinyl covering
marked $1.49 per foot.

I was ready to buy but I did not have the tools for splicing the
(Pelican) end connectors that hooks on the bow and stern pulpits.

I have seen some sailors using SS U-bolts to secure the connections
to the pulpits and stanchions. Not nautically elegant but safe.

The practise in UK is to secure the SS lifelines with a SS shackle at the
pulpit and a cord lashing at the cockpit end. The cockpit end of the wire
terminates about 3 inches short of the stern pulpit with a SS eyebolt and is
lashed with as many turns of polyester (Dacron) cord as appropriate, bearing
in mind that it may be necessary to cut the lifelines with one stroke of a
sharp knife - usually about 6-8 turns is deemed satisfactory.

Dennis.