Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Getting to the bottom of it... (Ablative question)

In article .com,
"Skip Gundlach" wrote:

Jere Lull wrote:

I'd review http://yachtsurvey.com/blisters.htm (again) before you
continue. Our 35 year-old non-epoxy is still fine, and epoxy has serious
drawbacks.

I'm quite familiar with Pascoe's site - marvelous resource - but am
wondering about drawbacks. This boat was previously peeled, and barrier
coated with something - presumed to be epoxy - which is evident in the
grinding/sanding process. I'd thought the normal barrier coat *was*
epoxy (??)...

Epoxy/Barrier coat only *slows* water migration. NOTHING will stop the
water getting in, particularly since a significant source of moisture is
the bilge, on the other side of the hull. More than that, I'll leave to
Pascoe, who I think described it nicely.

The problem with epoxy is that nothing sticks to it well -- the best you
can get is a mechanical bond. If you can be assured that you never will
have to deal with an area again, go with epoxy, but I'll use a good,
fresh polyester for everything else as the next layer will slightly
chemically bond to the previous one to give a greater grip than a pure
mechanical bond.

As far as the paint goes: Ablative doesn't go bad for the purposes we're
talking. Oxidation, stuff spilled on it, whatever, won't make much
difference after a few miles.

--
Jere Lull