Dave Hall

Default When would you board someone else's boat??

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:58:52 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:02:26 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

What??? No - I'm guilty the moment the razor blades go into my pocket.

Ok then. The next question I have is, do you refrain from stealing
those $50 worth of razor blades because you know it's morally wrong,
or because you feel that you have a good chance of getting caught?

Dave

Choice A, Dave. If I shop in a store, it's because I like the place. The
owner or company has created a place that serves me well. They deserve to
prosper.

Well, that is an answer. Just not the answer to the question which I
asked. I didn't ask where you shop and why. I asked you whether you
refrain from stealing because you believe, through an inner sense of
morality, that it's the "right" thing to do, or whether you do so
because you don't want to take the chance of getting caught and being
forced to atone for your crime?

Wait! Let me head off your next question. No, I do not steal from places

do NOT like.

Somehow I don't think you will give me a straight answer to my first
question. You are deliberately vague and non committal. Not unlike a
certain democratic presidential wannabee.

Dave

Knucklehead. I most certainly DID answer your question.

No, I asked you if you didn't shoplift due to an inner conscious
morality, or through a fear of the consequences. The answer you gave
me elaborated on shopping in a store because you like the place, and
how they deserve to prosper. That was NOT what I asked. You are
deliberately evasive. You would make a great politician. They do it
all the time.

But, sometimes I use
answers which contain more than one word, which I know befuddles you.

What befuddles me, are answers to questions which I did not ask, and
deflection tactics designed to avoid direct answers to uncomfortable
questions. The reasons for these tactics are enlightening in their own
right.

If you
need me to take it a step further, here goes: There was a point in my life
when everything fell apart financially and I didn't want to go to my parents
for various reasons.

Pride?

Ever heard of washing dishes for food? I could've
easily shoplifted in a supermarket.

And did you? And if not, why not?

I washed dishes for food in three
restaurants.

I would 've probably gotten a job at Radio Shack. But I admire those
who take responsibility and do what they need to do to support their
families. I owe you that much.

Dave