Inno Inno is offline

Default Relative Value of Various Boats/Motors - Newbie Questions

Hello,

I am starting to look at runabouts in the 16 to 18 foot range to use
for cruising on smaller inland lakes, maybe some water-skiing. Looking
to spend around $6,000 to $12,000 for a good used boat.

There are a lot of some brands of boats for sale in my area. Tons of
Baylines, Four Winns, Rinkers and Larsons. Some Cutters and Tempests.
Some of these look like reasonable deals but I wonder about the
reputation of the various brands of boat and motor. I know the
difference between a BMW and Chevrolet in cars but what about boats?
What is the general repuation of the brands I have listed in terms of
quality of construction, durability, resale value, handling?

I am leaning towards an I/O setup. Most of these seem to be Mercs or
OMC. Some Volvos and Yamahas. Is there some consensus about the
"better" brand of I/O motors? I want something that will be very
reliable without big repair bills. What are the ones to avoid at any
cost? Are there tell-tale signs of a bad motor that a non-expert like
me could pick up on? Dragging every possible purchase to a mechanic is
not feasible.

Are there any consumer opinion websites where folks rate boats and
motors?

Any information that will help steer me towards better boats and away
from "lemons" will be much appreciated!