AMPowers AMPowers is offline

Default lifelines with out PVC coating?

I've started a new thread about this because I think you bring up an
interesting topic [called "Rope as replacement for lifelines" and it is
just divergent enough to warrant that. I'd very much appreciate anyone
else's opinion or insight about this topic, and especially any
experience anyone has with it.

Gary wrote:
Roger Long wrote:

I think I will replace mine with plain wire. The Genoa and I rub
against and grab the plain wire shrouds all the time without any sign
of a problem. I took the split PVC covers off the shrouds and was
amazed at the gunk underneath. Can't be good for a metal that needs a
replenishing supply of oxygen to avoid corrosion.

I've heard or seen something somewhere about using some of the new
super low stretch rope for lifelines.
Has anyone heard about that idea?

I have seen many different parts of a boats rigging being replaced with
new high modulus ropes. The multihull world is embracing rope because
of the weight savings. They are certainly strong enough and look good
but the are a couple issues that warrant thought. First of all is the
UV degredation. It is much greater in any rope than in wire and
requires more frequent replacement. The second thing is nicks. Wire
will stand some abuse but a nicked rope will be much weaker. I have
seen a couple boat lose their rigs because of nicks in rope backstays.
Finally the splices in the new ropes are much more challenging and many
require special splices to ensure the strength isn't lost.

It is doable but think about pros and cons first.

Gary