posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Davej Davej is offline

Default Avoiding shoulder injury during high brace

Ok, I like your terminology better. I am confused about the face that
is positioned downward for skulling. I presumed that a cupped blade
shape would make the "back" side better for this (power side up), but I
was then told by an experienced local that the "power side" should be
downward. For a cupped blade this seems wrong to me.

Steve Cramer wrote:
As Humpty Dumpty said, "When I use a word, it means just what I choose
it to mean--neither more nor less." Then again, HD is now an omelet.

Paddles have two faces, the power face, that pushes against the water
and makes the boat go forwards, and is often concave; and the back face,
which is the other one. There is no front face.

Steve

Davej wrote:
Ok, maybe I'm wrong to think of the front side to be the "back" side.

wrote:
Bracing with the back face is part of the definition of a low brace. I
can't see how you would do it otherwise.

Steve

Davej wrote:
Courtney wrote:
It is encouraged that a low brace is used by keeping the elbow down and
using the back side of the paddle blade to skull.
Does the ACA actually suggest using the back side of the paddle?

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA