posted to alt.sailing.asa
Donal Donal is offline

Default The 100 yard rule

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
If you have to pass closer that 100 yards from a US Navy ship, How can
you do it legally today with the homeland security rules in place?.

How large is the Navy Vessel Protection Zone ? and at what distance to
a US Navy ship do you have to go at a minimum speed?

A few years ago, there was a big event in the Solent that featured US
warships. An exclusion zone was in force around the US ships. As I
approached the USS Enterprise (IIRC??), I noticed that she had a RIB out on
the water keeping other boats at bay. As the RIB was busy at her stern, I
sailed under her bow. I was amazed at the clearance between the top of my
mast and the bow of that ship!!! It was absolutely enormous. Nobody shot
at us, although a guy did shake his fist (or was it a gun) at us.

Regards

Donal