Chuck Gould Chuck Gould is offline

Default Has to be the mother of all shorepower cables......

But the idea makes incredible sense. Why should ships alongside a pier
have to run their generators 24/7 (using the associated fuel and
emitting the associated smoke)?

***********

Release: Immediate
Date: August 18, 2006
Contact: Mick Shultz, (206) 728-3091

Scrubber study will look at further emissions reductions

Seattle, August 18, 2006

A new shorepower hook-up at the south berth at Terminal 30 makes the
Port of the first port in North America to provide shore power
simultaneously to two vessels.

The milestone was celebrated today with a luncheon aboard Holland
America Line's Oosterdam.

"Last year we became the second port in North America to offer shore
power for cruise ships," said Port of Seattle Commission President
Patricia Davis. "Today we take a leading role in environmental
stewardship as the only port capable of providing shorepower for two
cruise ships at once."

Hooking up to the City of Seattle's power grid allows the cruise
ships to turn off their engines while docked in Seattle, reducing fuel
consumption and eliminating diesel emissions from the ship's stack.

"The City of Seattle, Holland America Line, Princess Cruise Line, the
Environmental Protection Agency and the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency
have been vital partners in this achievement," Davis said. "We are
very thankful for their ongoing support and their willingness to forge
ahead."

The beginning of a study to determine the feasibility of using seawater
scrubbers to remove pollutants from cruise ship diesel emissions also
was announced today Holland's MS Zandaam, one of the ships operating
out of Seattle in 2007, will test the seawater scrubbing equipment.

The study is made possible with the assistance of a $300,000 grant from
the U.S. EPA/West Coast Diesel Collaborative, a $100,000 contribution
from the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency and $50,000 from the Port of
Seattle. Other partners in the study include: BP, CAT Diesel Power,
Environment Canada and the Port of Vancouver (Canada) Authority.

"We're excited to play a role in testing this promising new
technology," said Port of Seattle CEO Mic Dinsmore. "The shorepower
and seawater scrubbing programs are clear examples of the maritime
industry bringing economic benefits and environmental stewardship to
our community."