posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default Heart of Gold Website

Is the 7'0" or 6'10"? Since you are so knowledgeable in the ways of
science,
5'9 denotes measurement more precision than 7 feet.

Look at it this way: You actually got me curious about the 35s5
cockpit. Is it "large" or it just more open and wider than some? So I
measured it and as I said, the seat length is indeed 7 feet. Now I
measured the Tartan 37 and Catalina in the SAME way. BUT those boats
don't have a continuous seat bench. It stops a foot or so before the
wheel. So both boats have less seating room than the 35s5. Same for the
Hunter 35. A Hunter 32 with a shorter cockpit had more seating room
with it's bathtub shaped arangement.
So if we put a "comfortable" amount of adults in the cockpit (not using
the coamings) we get two on each side and one more in the center
position at the companion way (my favorite spot). I'll leave the helm
area clear for a windy day and we get 1 helmsman and 5 guests. Frankly,
that's what's comfortable on the Catalina 42 as well and that cockpit
is longer by close to 2 feet. But because the benches terminate before
the helm, some space is lost.

Next week I'll be adding much more than just "fan" stuff to the
website.

RB
35s5
NY