Mike V.

Default Volvo Penta harmonic balancer problem

I own a 1997 Larson with a 5.7liter GS engine and a Volvo Penta SX
outdrive. I devolped an oil leak from the timing chain cover so I
decided to pull out the engine and change the oil pan,valve cover,and
intake manifold gaskets along with a new timing chain cover( it's
plastic and the gasket and cover are all one unit).I put the harmonic
balancer back on and tightened it against the crank shaft sprocket to
the proper torque value. The problem now is when I put the
water/circulating pump back on the pulley on the pump does not line up
with the pulley on the harmonic balancer. It's as if the balancer is
too far in by about a 1/4". I've had a few mechanic friends take alook
and they are scratching their heads on this one. Here are a couple of
their thoughts:
1. The crank shaft sprocket was replaced with a different one.
2. The harmonic balancer is not the right one.
Please note that I bought the boat used a couple of years ago so it is
possible that someone else had worked on the engine. What I need to
find out is if the crank shaft sprocket is supposed to come with some
kind of lip on it?
If so then I guess I'll need to replce it with the proper one. It
would be a shame to have to remove the cover now that it's all sealed
up nice. Could I have a spacer/washer made with a key way cut in it
and slide that on first?