Calif Bill

Default temperature sender mounting on outboard

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"Calif Bill" wrote in message

link.net...
"Don WA5NGP" wrote in message
om...
Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll try to find someplace that will hold
it in place with some heatsink goop. The actual measurement value is
not so important as is a relative reading that its either like it
normally is or something that is different. I've already used it
like this to check the tranny fluid temperature on my suburban. I
think I found out that the radiator usually warms up the tranny fluid.

I don't have a pressure gauge. Does the pressure gauge sending unit
simply connect to the telltale spout on the water jacket and elininate
the telltale?

tks
Don WA5NGP

You want it up high on the motor. First place for water to be vacant.

If the impellor quits pumping water, how will water be "vacant"? It
will simply overheat the water that is there. In order for the water
to leave, it there would have to be an opening to the intake, or else
when the water tried to run out, there would be a vacuum. If the
thermostat sticks closed, there is no opening to the intake.

Some of the engines will get an air bubble up high in the engine (Merc
Optimax) from long idling down the channel when first starting out. There
builds up a bubble on the upper cylinder waterjacket. Upper cylinder
overheats. So put it up high. If partial failure of the impeller and low
flow, H2O may not reach the upper cylinder.
Bill