Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default provisioning

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:06:13 GMT, wrote:

When shopping for my new boat I wonder what to look for when it come to food
and water storage. I could benefit from other cruisers comments and
feedback.

It depends a great deal on what type of cruising you do and how big a
boat you are talking about. If you are a coastal cruiser who can get
to a water dock and grocery store once or twice a week your needs are
much less than someone headed into the boondocks for many weeks at a
time.

I usually estimate water requirements at between 5 and 10 gallons per
person per day. That's on a boat with pressure water and a shower,
probably half that otherwise..

The need for refrigeration is highly dependant on your food choices
and personal preferences. Some people cruise with no refrigeration at
all. It can be done if you don't mind warm beverages, and use canned
or freeze dried foods. In my opinion the best refrigeration system
for long range cruising is an engine driven compressor coupled to
holding plates, next best is a good 12 volt system with holding
plates.