posted to rec.boats.building
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Deck renovation ideas?

wrote:
A pal of mine is renovating a 1950s wooden 42-footer originally
built as a trawler but later fitted with a gaff rig.

He's currently tackling the deck, which is in a pretty rough state.
It's covered in old anti-fouling paint which is peeling and needs
removing.

It's a nightmare to sand as the surface is very uneven. And because
there are large amounts of pitch between the boards, any sanding
pad or belt becomes clogged with the stuff after just a few minutes.

I'd wondered whether it might make sense to try a power plane on it,
and just skim off a couple of mil - though I also wondered whether
the pitch might clog that up too.

I once had a sailboat on which the previous owner had applied a liquid
"rubber" coating to the trunk cabin deck. I wanted to remove same,
put down a layer of ply and fiberglass over. The rubber wouldn't sand
well conventionally, tried a power plane...it worked better but still
would have taken forever. I wound up using a disk sander with a very
open #16 grit.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...