posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin Jim Conlin is offline

Default Fiberglass Question

On that boat, I'd want to end up with a double layer of 6 oz. glass only
over the keel or at most across the bottom. To cover the entire boat with
that much glass is unnecessary weight. Also, it won't provide as clear a
finish.
Cut the two pieces of glass to shape ahead of time and position them on the
boat and get the wrinkles out. A little 3M spray adhesive is a big help
here.
Then, wet out the glass on the boat. Different folks have different
methods, but i like to pour a dollop of resin onto the boat and then
squeegee it around. The 6" yellow plastic bondo spreaders are good for
this. You'll only need a brush for dabbing a few remaining dry spots. I'd
mix resin maybe 8 oz. at a time.
Try to get the glass fully wet, but not filled, with as little resin as
possible. You'll fill it later. Too much resin will allow the glass to
float and reveal its wrinkles.

Don't thin the resin. That makes it weak and permeable. If the temp.
isn't over 80, you'll have plenty of time to do the whole thing in one go.

"Burly Pete" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm building a Bear Mountain Rice Lake skiff 13' 9''
I'm using 6 oz fiberglass and West Epoxy 105/207. Being a newbie to
fiberglass I would prefer not to adjust my epoxy ratio for fear of
having a nightmare experience that I could post

Peter