posted to rec.boats.building
John John is offline

Default Fiberglass Question

Burly Pete wrote:
I'm building a Bear Mountain Rice Lake skiff 13' 9''
I'm using 6 oz fiberglass and West Epoxy 105/207. Being a newbie to
fiberglass I would prefer not to adjust my epoxy ratio for fear of
having a nightmare experience that I could post

Peter:

Don't adjust your epoxy ratio for any reason. Diluting your epoxy after
it is mixed with a SMALL amount of solvent is OK- there was some
research by WEST that they published in Epoxyworks magazine in the
Fall, 1999.

See http://epoxyworks.com/indexprojects.html and look for 'thinning
epoxy' under the 'Epoxy Techniques' heading. You can also use heat to
thin epoxy, though that causes other problems (faster cure, bubbling,
etc).

It would be best to take some cloth scraps and do a few experiments- a
few dollars worth of epoxy in experiments is a good investment.

The techniques you will be using for your projects are the same as on a
strip canoe (I've built a number). I assume you have Ted Moores' (Bear
Mountain) book- it has most of what you need to know.

Cheers
John