posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default The Best Cockpit, not a 35.5 MG midget

DSK wrote:

I've also had marginally-willing students suddenly try to
give me back the helm the instant before a big wave (or some
other form of disaster) was about to hit. Hate it when that
happens.

No doubt..while training a Captain she insisted on taking a 225 ft
barge thru the Pelican Island Bridge near Galveston, has interesting
side currents and can get tricky...I agreed and waited just a bit to
long to take control, just as she jumpped back from the wheel screaming
take it. I tried like hell to get it up in time, but did a glancing
blow off the brand new fenders they just drove in. Sorry MF's claimed I
broke 3 of the pylons.... cost the company about 5 grand to fix...and
guess who had to accept the blame......

..... I only know a handful of sailors I would
trust to helm the boat in bad conditions while off watch.... none of them
were aboard at the time.

C'mon, 'Overproof' can't be that friggin' squirrelly and
hard-mouthed. Sounds like you're working to justify being a
tiller hog!

I don't know if it's the squirrelly part ..or not trusting your life
and the life of your passengers into the hands of a amature. I've had a
100 times I've been at the wheel for over 24 hrs straight in foul or
extreme conditions. Adreline and coffee can do wonderious things. But I
can relate to how good the hard bunk feels when you get to crash.

Joe

DSK