posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default The Best Cockpit, not a 35.5 MG midget

Sounded like a lot of fun until you get to the 6 other people on board.
What the heck were they doing all this time? Are you that much of a
tiller-hog??

Capt.Mooron wrote:
Playing cards for a while....

yeh, some of my best light air races were spent playing
cards down below.

.... It was really bad
weather and we had a long haul to make it to a secure harbour. I wouldn't
trust anyone at the helm in those conditions. One screw up might have placed
us in dire circumstances.

So? You could have screwed up yourself, especially from
fatigue after many hours unrelieved. IMHO times like these
are the best to teach helmsmanship... if the student is willing.

I've also had marginally-willing students suddenly try to
give me back the helm the instant before a big wave (or some
other form of disaster) was about to hit. Hate it when that
happens.

..... I only know a handful of sailors I would
trust to helm the boat in bad conditions while off watch.... none of them
were aboard at the time.

C'mon, 'Overproof' can't be that friggin' squirrelly and
hard-mouthed. Sounds like you're working to justify being a
tiller hog!

Sounds like mal-de-mer might have been a problem?

Nope..... a few shots of overproof rum cures mal de mer in a hurry.

Alcohol has the opposite effect on many, but it's also true
that whiskey (or other strong spirits) is whole medicine
cabinet in a single bottle!

DSK