Skip Gundlach Skip Gundlach is offline

Default Getting to the bottom of it... (Ablative question)

Hi, Jere, and group,

Jere Lull wrote:
In article .com,
"Skip Gundlach" wrote:

Our boat is covered in poorly repaired blisters.

Dang! It's always something, isn't it?

I'd review http://yachtsurvey.com/blisters.htm (again) before you
continue. Our 35 year-old non-epoxy is still fine, and epoxy has serious
drawbacks.

I'm quite familiar with Pascoe's site - marvelous resource - but am
wondering about drawbacks. This boat was previously peeled, and barrier
coated with something - presumed to be epoxy - which is evident in the
grinding/sanding process. I'd thought the normal barrier coat *was*
epoxy (??)...

Because you already have a reveal coat, I'd stick with the current
color. No need to get confused whether a patch is the first or second
red layer.

Heh. We'll have had to go through all the blue first - and I presume
we'd have had to go through the red, if that's what we use on top - so
it ought to be a last-ditch "gotta get paint on this, *NOW* sort of
thing.

And don't scuff for adhesion -- since there's not much to be had, it IS
intended to be ablative and the fresh coat will chemically etch and bond
-- but only slightly for roughness. No need to remove stuff that's still
good.

What about all the oxidation, cleaner runoff from PoliGlow prep (not
yet applied; stay tuned), and other indignities on the otherwise clean
bottom?

Thanks for any real-world experience. Ours will next to never be out
of the water, so we'd like to do as much to extend the time between
repaints as possible...

L8R

Skip and Lydia

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig
See our galleries at http://justpickone.org/skip/gallery/
Follow us at

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a
clear
night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize that you
are
quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to you that in the
general scheme of things you are merely an insignificant speck on the
surface of the ocean; and are not nearly so important or as
self-sufficient
as you thought you were. Which is an exceedingly wholesome thought,
and one
that may effect a permanent change in your deportment that will be
greatly
appreciated by your friends."- James S. Pitkin

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages: