posted to rec.boats.building
MarshallE MarshallE is offline

Default copper tubing and sea/salt water

Thanks and one more question.

Is there a formula for calculating how much copper tubing and size is
needed for handling my 5 ton AC unit. I am wondering if a 100 ft. coil of
1/2" refrigeration tubing for the freon and either shroud the copper tube
with larger plastic tubing for sea water to travel or simply submerge the
copper coil in a large drum with sea water circulating/exchanging. Avg. sea
temps range from 40 to 85 degrees F.

Many thanks for help.

Marshall
"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
You should use a copper based stainless steel. The alloy is commonly used
for heat exchangers and oil coolers on large commercial marine engines. It
goes by several names, but I think cunifer(sp) is one of them. Be careful
with your construction and avoid exposing it to unsupported vibration as

it
is prone to fatigue cracking. However, it is very resistant to salt water
corrosion.
Steve

"MarshallE" wrote in message
Hi,

What is the normal metal tubing used for keel coolers and how long

should
it
last?

I am having a heck of a time locating a seawater condenser and have

about
decided to make from scratch.

I want to A/C using 5 tons for my boat.

thanks for help and opinions,