posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Joe Pylka Joe Pylka is offline

Default Coleman Canoe wrapped around a rock - need parts

Bluntly, you're making an unwarranted assumption. When Coleman owned it,
they had a repair kit available for the RAM-X. It was ultimately taken off
the market and they themselves admitted it didn't work. So far as I know
nothing has worked effectively on Ram-X to where someone could trust it
again.
The aluminum alloy in the internal supports is an odd mix. If you try to
straighten it out it doesn't come back to anything near its original
strength is is prone to snapping at the crease marks. Again, not safe.
This sort of exchange has come up on this newsgroup before, and for the most
part, the sentiments expressed are very similar. These boats were intended
for very casual use, say paddling 100 yds out from the dock to do some
fishing then back to it. Not much more. Their prices at the time were
good, and less than most canoes. There was a reason. A serious paddler who
would use it heavily wouldn't be interested. For the casual user, it was a
good deal. That lower price, though, had a hidden cost -- the boat isn't
truly repairable and had a finite lifespan.
If it's not fixable, then it's a waste of a lot of money to attempt it, or
it's zero. Good as new? not likely. Safe? I wouldn't trust it for more
than what's mentioned above. I'm sorry but other than that, they do make
good planters....
If you have become a bit more interested in paddling, you will also find a
world of difference in performance, less effort, ability to move a boat
fairly precisely, etc. in the other brands mentioned in other messages...

Joe P.
*************************

"FrogontheLog" wrote in message
ups.com...
Here are some reasons to repair:
First - hopefully the cost of repair, which would be very simple,
should be less, and the boat would be good as new. The ramx material
returned to its original shape just fine.
Second - where do you get rid of a half good canoe? and Why would you
want to throw out something that is fixable?

Then upon purchasing another canoe, I would have an extra for even more
fun!

riverman wrote:
"FrogontheLog" wrote in message
oups.com...
Loaned out my Coleman B Model canoe, purchased in 1979. Guess what -
wrecked. Need a Keelson, Center thwart and Gunwale for left side.

Unfortunately, Coleman sold the div to Pelican who no longer have or
stock parts.

Do any of you know where I can still get replacement parts for this
conoe????????

Thanks

Umm, why bother? Coleman boats are notorious for being of low quality,

and
your 1979 model is certainly beyond its life expectancy anyway. You

could
use this opportunity to replace it with a boat from a more reputable
manufacturer, and get something of quality. Old Town, Mad River, Lincoln

and
others have boats in a competitive price range to Coleman, and they will
last much longer. In fact, it's quite possible that an OT Discovery 16'
would not have wrapped in the same situation that destroyed your

Coleman, as
the OT hulls are much more rigid and slippery.

--riverman