posted to rec.boats.electronics
Ronnie Ronnie is offline

Default PDA with GPS used as NMEA source for DSC?

Our small motor boat is fitted with a DSC VHF radio which accommodates
a GPS positioning input using NMEA. I'd like to employ a removable
GPS unit, mounted in a cradle next to the radio. So far, so easy. For
my work, and during leisure time, I want to use a PDA running Email
with Word/Excel etc, and a PDA combined with GPS would enable me to
carry only one device around with me out of the boat. Two PDA
manufacturers make a device - HP 6910/6915, and Fujitsu Siemens Loox.

PDAs are 'USB' oriented - and the manufacturers do not appear to have
NMEA compatible cables for connection to a DSC radio.

Has anyone used a PDA with GPS as an NMEA source for a DSC radio?
What kind of cabling and connections were employed to the radio?

(Googling didn't reveal a FAQ/howto of any sort on this, nor any
similar Usenet query, though I am sure this question must have been
asked before. Apologies if it has been and I couldn't find it.)

best wishes,
Ron