posted to rec.boats.building
psx1337 psx1337 is offline

Default Boat building, carpentry, and hearing

Alright, jackass. You have no place to insult me for calling myself a
musician. I play piano very well. That's being a musician. I'm confused
as to which direction I'd like to take in maritime jobs if any.. that's
why I am considering the 12 week Chapman course. I'm not as stupid as
you make me sound. I know that's completely different. You are of no
help. Go find something better to do.

Ron Magen wrote:
'psx' -

I don't know who you have been 'listening' to, or if this whole thing is a
'troll' . . . Plus I just have a feeling that your idea of a 'musician'
doesn't have anything to with a local Philharmonic.

Rhode Island - especially if it's associated with the International Yachting
Museum, or the Herreshoff Museum - will probably give you a good start.

Some school in Florida that claims to turn you into a 'Professional Mariner'
is 12 weeks . . . sounds like a scam {to be overly polite}. Nor is a
'Mariner' necessarily a competent boat builder or restorer, wooden or
otherwise.

As far as a job at a marina or shipyard for someone with no experience?? . .
. try 'Dock Rat', 'Wharf Bum' or other 'non-politically correct' term for
the someone who washes & HAND waxes {NO WAY are they going to let YOU touch
a power buffer to a hull}boats for about $6.oo/hr. That's not what the
company gets . . . it's what YOU get.

There is NO WAY to 'get rich quick', or get the specialized, varied
knowledge & develop the 'muscle memory' without a LOT of sweat, effort,
dedication, and TIME. Saying Rhode Island's 'O.K.' but intimating that
'Florida' and '12-weeks' sounds better - tells me a hell of a lot about you.

being 'politically incorrect and proud of it',
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
{PS - Unless you want to come down here and apply to Cherubini Yachts. Want
me to tell John to expect you . . .??}

"psx1337" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for that info. I have a request for some other info if anyone
could help me out. I looked at this school the other day in Rhode
Island called the International Yacht Restoration School. www.iyrs.org
It's a nice school but I'm also looking at this program with Chapman
called the Professional Mariner Training program. It's 12 weeks and I
believe the campus is down in Florida. Before I do any of that, though,
I'm looking to get a job at maybe a marina or shipyard. Could anyone
suggest what positions I could look for with not much experience in
boats?