posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Wedman Gordon Wedman is offline

Default Inverters & Laptops

"Floating Mind" wrote in message
It's my understanding that a person should never use a modified sinewave
inverter with a laptop, that we should always use pure sinewave
inverters with laptops, as the modified sinewave units are harmful to
the life of the laptop's battery.

Question #1: Is this true?

Question #2: How do I tell the difference? I have 2 inverters I use on
my boat, each from a different manufacturer, and neither one says
anything about the sinewave characteristics.

You might also consider purchasing a power brick for your laptop that runs
directly from 12 volts. I have two of these from Lind Electronics, one for
a Dell and one for a Panasonic. Each one is specifically designed for the
particular laptop. Handy to have as I can recharge the laptop from the
car's cigarette lighter socket or run the laptop in the car to use Microsoft
Streets and Trips.