Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Watercraft Excise tax in Maine?

The yearly tax varies a lot state to state. In Massachusetts, there's
a fixed valuation. For a 7 year old, 35-40 foot boat that would
$12000, and the tax is 1%, or $120. If the boat is registered in the
state, the info is passed automatically to your home town, and they
will collect or insist you pay the town where its kept. Otherwise,
documented or foreign boats will be noticed if the local harbormaster
is doing his job. For instance, in my town, a mooring permit is
required, and for that you must show proof a payment of the excise tax.

All in all, a $120 tax isn't the worst expense on a $100,000 boat.

wrote:
It is possible to put a monetary amount on what it cost in watercraft taxes
to own a sailboat.
The scenario would be: I buy a 33 feet sailboat at $100,00.00. Then I
have to pay the sales tax at ? After that I have to pay a tax every year
assessed on the value of the boat. Is the value of the boat the cost of a
new replacement of it fair market value?
The same thing would apply if I leave my sailboat in the US for more than 6
months do I have to pay watercraft tax.
Not to mention that we have to pay a cruising tax when entering the US.