posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default The Best Cockpit, not a 35.5 MG midget

Last charter I took in Belize, we had AC aboard... never turned it on, never
even thought about turning it on.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 07:32:20 -0400, Jeff wrote:

Capt. Rob wrote:
If that isn't powerboat thinking, I don't
know what is!

Powerboat thinking is not about air conditiioning, Jeff. It's about
powerboating. It's about selling your sailboat and buying a powerboat.

Powerboat thinking is putting in an aft cabin with poor ventilation
and then claiming its a feature because it requires you to add a
genset to run the A/C at night on a mooring.

At my marina most of the powerboats over 25 feet have A/C, but I don't
think any of the sailboats do (certainly none run on daily basis).

You may daysail, but you have a powerboat mentality.

Last charter I took ( Abaco, the Bahamas) the nightly argument was
whether to run the Genset and AC or not. I always argued against it.
Didn't always win. Determining if I can charter with those folks
again.

Nothing more irritating than pulling into a quiet cove setting up and
having some idiot come in later, and crank up a noisy genset so they
can run all their toys, including AC. Wonder why they didn't just
stay home.

Where I used to keep my boat, the marina charged a healthy surcharge
if you had and ran AC using their shore power.

I sail in an area that is much hotter than LIS. Never had an
uncomfortable night offshore without AC. Set the windscoops, opened
up the boat and sleeping great.

Never found the boat to uncomfortable to work on with opening ports,
hatches, windscoops, fans, etc. Of course, I'm fairly well work
hardened and not a marshmellow.

I haven't kept a boat there for about 8 years now, but when I did,
very few of the sailboats had gensets or AC. Maybe times have
changed. Well of course it has, that place ain't there no more.

Frank