Geoff Schultz Geoff Schultz is offline

Default Getting to the bottom of it... (Ablative question)

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in
oups.com:

As many of you know, we're close to splashing our 2-year refit. It was
newly ablative bottom painted when we bought it.

A local asserts that the bottom paint is dead, and it will have to be
redone.

How say you who have experienced this? Not hard, ablative, out of the
water for a couple of years essentially immediately after application?

If it has to be redone, do I have to take off the old paint as well?
Or, with a scuff-up, will the bottom adhere, and (perhaps?) re-activate
the old stuff?

Contact the mfg of the paint and ask them. Each paint is different. The
Micron CSC that I use can remain out of the water for extended periods (I
don't know about 2 years), but other paints "die" after getting pulled out.

-- Geoff