posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Skip Gundlach Skip Gundlach is offline

Default A wireless (no wires to the computer) wifi solution? (very long)

Hi, Wayne, and group,

Wayne.B wrote:
On 8 Aug 2006 10:00:25 -0700, "Skip Gundlach"

From: "Skip Gundlach, Aboard S/Y Flying Pig, over Wifi"

Subject: A wireless (no wires to the computer) wifi solution? (very
long)
Date: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 12:12 PM

I sent this to the Morgan sailnet list today; apologies to those un/dis

interested:

================

Thanks for sharing the solution, that is quite some saga.

I just replaced my 9 db vertical on the boat with a 15 db and it is a
very noticable improvement, at least sitting here at the dock. I'll
carry along the 9 db for awhile just in case there are issues when
anchored out.

Do I remember properly that you're on coax to that antenna? If so,
you've lost a major portion of your signal.

The problem with the higher gain antenna will be its correspondingly
flatter donut, and every wave will make the painted part of the
geography shift.

OTOH, if you are successful with the higher gain antenna, I might look
at that, too, as changing it out would be pretty simple. It's an issue
right now because there are some bridges I might have to go under where
that stick would put me over 65' - but once in the Caribbean, of
course, there are none, and I could have a HF whip up there if I
wanted.

L8R

Skip