Thomas Wentworth Thomas Wentworth is offline

Default Sailboat Popularity Question ... $4 per gal fuel

Jere,,, it just occured to me ... if less people are using their boat, and
the boat market gets really soft due to fuel costs ... then the component
suppliers will start to hurt as well..

By this I mean: the diesel re-power people. The equipment people. The ...
you can see where this is going.

Do you think that eventually the market will actually start to change the
way the marina's charge? I think that one of the huge problems up here in
the Northeast is the availble space for moorings, dockage, and the overall
rippoffs that the marina's have become.

I don't know any rich sailors. Yet, the marina's act as if all sailboat
owners are rich. Go figure.

If boating as a market gets soft, I wonder if we will start to see a change
in the way us peons are treated.

=================================
"Jere Lull" wrote in message
In article q9mBg.1554$Fl2.29@trndny01,
"Thomas Wentworth" wrote:

And now with the price of fuel, I wonder if there will be a resurgence of
the popularity of the cruising sailboat. I was at the fuel dock the
other
day, a motor boat was filling up. $300 dollars for the fill up! And
this
was not a big boat. I put in $20 dollars. Got my sails ready and paid
the
wind a compliment. Off!

At our marina, even the sailboats aren't going out as much because of
the cost to get TO the boat. It's really hurting the whole industry as
those boats that aren't used don't break so often.

Meanwhile, we used 13 gallons last year and haven't quite used 10 yet
this season -- but we've only been out about 25 days so far.

--
Jere Lull