posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop Maxprop is offline

Default A new friend...

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 20:53:05 -0400, DSK wrote:

No such thing as a bad boat.

Not so sure about that. A few of the horrid ferro-cement abortions I've
seen during my life probably qualified.

Frank Boettcher wrote:
Hey now, I logged about 500 miles on a 44' custom built ferro-cement,
pilot house ketch, on a delivery crew. Wasn't so bad.

He didn't say that *all* ferro-cement boats were horrid
abortions.

Yes, I know.

Years ago, guy in the slip next to me had a ferro-cement double ender
he built himself. He motored, less spars and rig, down the
Mississippi River from somewhere up north, with the intention of
fitting out and heading south. Had a pregnant wife and a Newfoundland
dog. Waited for the wife to deliver, then after fitting out they
headed out. I had serious doubts about the boat, particularly the
chain plate design. They made it about half way across the Gulf and
hit a storm, were dismasted, rescued by a freighter, but the boat sank
in tow.

Never saw them again, I guess they went back up north. Felt sorry for
him, I'm fairly sure you can't get those home built ferro-cement boats
insured.

That may have been the story I saw in SOUNDINGS a while back. The boat
literally fell apart underway. I thought the people had bought it, however,
rather than built it. But it's been too long to remember details. At any
rate it was a "floating" death trap. The family survived, but lost
everything.

Max