Larry Larry is offline

Default Watercraft Excise tax in Maine?

Michael Porter wrote in
:

Most municipalities levy a property tax

Liveaboard boaters could, if they weren't so goddamned independent and
live like a bunch of hermits, take some really great advantages from full
time RVers, who have many organizations and companies specializing in
remote residencies for the "mobile impared". If you look around the net
for them, like this one I found just Googling around:
http://www.mydakotaaddress.com/
They provide mailbox service, a residential address in cooperation with
the local tax bureaucrats in states and municipalities with amazingly
little RV taxes/licenses/intrusions and confiscations. The full timers
register their RV/car/boat/etc. with the company address, instead of
where they WERE FROM, some big city full of welfare and bureaucrats to
feed.

Some pay no taxes at all:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...l/14748298.htm
"Dean Roberts of the Motor Vehicle Division for the Montana Department of
Justice estimates that officials have registered about 30,000 motor homes
for people living elsewhere, bringing in about $5 million in registration
fees a year for the state — a fraction of what other states are losing in
taxes."

I have full time RV friends that dumped their house in Charleston, SC,
and moved everything they own to Tennesee. The tax load on their massive
home-on-wheels dropped from over $3200 in SC to $39 and change in RURAL
TN. Small towns and rural counties, still under control of the local
voter-taxpayers, keep the greedy bureaucrats at bay by simply voting the
spenders out of office, to the advantage of the RVers registered there,
too.

Unlike the Dock Condos in most marinas so easily spotted by the local tax
Gestapo, RVers are far more nomadic, never staying in one place long
enough to be captured in the tax Gestapos' network of if-you-stay-here-
more-than-14-days-we're-gonna-tax-your-ass-to-death agents. Dock Condos
can't take advantage of such businesses, I suppose.

Of course, the superrich simply register THEIR Dock Condos in a tax
shelter island like BVI, etc., and fly the flag at the docks to ward off
evil spirits. They keep them on-the-move before the drooling hoards can
board them, computers in hand.