posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Rick Rick is offline

Default Avoiding shoulder injury during high brace

....more info added below

"Rick" wrote in message
m...
...stuff deleted

The problem with this is that it's very limiting (I'm talking sea kayak
use here). It's useless on beam waves much above head height unless
bongo-sliding out of control is your idea of a good time in big waves
(sure, sometimes it's a blast, but not on rocky coast or in areas where
the waves are dumping). What I prefer to do if I want to maintain my
position is to reach up, pierce the wave face with the paddle and dig it
into the back side of the wave. I let the boat flow with the wave and I
end up essentially horizontal as the wave crest passes under the boat.
Once the wave releases the boat, it only takes a quick snap to be upright
again. Although my arms are extended during this maneuver, there is very
little stress on them or my shoulders and what there is in inline with my
torso.

You can effectively do what I feel is a much safer move in that situation.
With the elbows low, you plant the blade into the wave face, placing the
blade at a 45 (or so) degree angle (I've never pulled out a protractor to
measure it for some reason ). Set the brace and pull as though you are
taking a normal stroke. This provides both forward and downward thrust as
you brace on the wave. As the wave breaks over and you continue the pull,
the bow breaks through the wave on the far side first and the boat quickly
turns and pops out the other side. Its a lot of fun to do, by the way.
I've done this in rocky areas with dumping surf and not been pounded on
the rocks. And this move I've never seen described in any of the classic
brace procedures, either. It works for me, anyway. I haven't yet
"bongo-slid" out of control doing this (in fact, I started doing it after
getting tired of being bounced sideways toward shore for hundreds of
feet). I imagine that I do side slip somewhat with this move, but I don't
believe it is ever more than a few feet (and yes, when paddling in or near
rocks, I'll acknowledge that inches can be important).

Actually, it seems to me that, in rereading your description, we aren't as
far different in technique as I first thought. I think you can do the same
move you describe with a lower brace and just simply add the paddle angle
and pull I described. This stops the side-slipping and has the same end
result - you end facing the next wave bow-on.

Rick

I should have added that when you do this (for lack of a better phrase,
"moving brace") it feels very unusual. Initially, it feels almost like the
boat becomes sluggish and heavy (probably due to the weight of water falling
on the boat), but after a few seconds, it begins to rise as the bow starts
to penetrate the back side of the wave. Once it does, though, the boat spins
in place like a compass needle. It turns so quickly, the first time I did
this, I was shocked to find myself facing straight back out toward sea. So
don't panic or fret if it seems the boat won't respond at first, the rewards
of staying with this move are tremendous.

Rick