posted to rec.backcountry,uk.rec.boats.paddle
Eugene Miya Eugene Miya is offline

Default eskimo roll

In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:
reasons that are unclear to me, sea kayakers seem to regard the roll as

beginning sea kayakers
an incredibly advanced technique that you have to build up to for years
and years.

They do? Not true of the ones I know, and I'm in an active and
reasonably large SK club.

Naw, this is the same problem which is in skiing: how do you
characterise, verbally, activity.

In whitewater boating, working on a roll starts right away

As it does for sea kayaking, IME.

Ditto.

just get worse. And you _do_ want a reliable roll before you venture
into the surf, because it is not a good place to swim.

I actually got my "roll in anger" greatly improved in /moderate/
surf. For a relative beginner it's more a case of when, rather

The problem is an economic one:
sea kayak guides like the surf equivalent to Rob Hall and Scott Fisher
want to make a living so they take novices, in some cases who can't even
swim, out. The naive, thinking they can make the skills up, delay
training.

Any exit you can walk away from.....