posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt b393capt is offline

Default Usefullness of SART

I had purchased an ACR brand SART, with the thought if there is an
emergency it can broadcast my position on radar. I did this not
realizing how close DSC is to being fully activated, and thinking SART
was an improvement over EPIRB for coastal use.

After receving the unit I made the recommended test. After testing (10
seconds at a time) with my Raymarine E-Series, I cannot see anything,
even thought my SART was beeping indicating it was responding to a
radar. I noticed, even with my radar off, it was responding to other
radars.

When I inquired with ACR, the technician wrote that I probably didn't
see it, because it was responding to some other radar. They will gladly
take a look at it, to confirm there are no problems.

BUT ... my question to the group is this : If I am in distress and go
use this thing, and lets say I am in range of 10 radars, will my
distress only show up on one of them ??? If that's the case, I am not
sure this is all that useful in coastal areas.

Dan
Huntington, NY