Don White Don White is offline

Default Sailboat Popularity Question ... $4 per gal fuel

Larry wrote:
"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in
ps.com:

most folks are in too much of a hurry in todays "get it now"
environment...Sailing and relaxing is "way over" most folks
thinking......Wait till gas goes over $10us per gallon...That
might folks to change their "rut".....imho of course...

God I hate sailing with them aboard the boss' boat, too. They just HAVE
to be THERE (X) by 8AM Monday morning. What the hell are they doing on
this sailboat?!

We got becalmed, the sea went flat as a billiard table, 90 miles due S of
Charleston. Cap'n Geoffrey asked me what I thought. I told him the wind
would probably come up again within a few days, peering into the huge
pile of food and beer in the coolers, enough to feed us for a couple of
weeks, well. He smiled, we think alike, and I hit the V-berth for a
little well-deserved snooze after the midwatch.

When I got up, some of "them" looked like they had ants in their shorts!
They were pacing around, looking towards Charleston, verbalizing their
concern with getting home. I wished they had STAYED home, in the first
place! The wind was so calm the genoa just hung loose, barely moving a
fiber. I ate a great sandwich Dagwood would have been proud of and fired
up one of the thousands of movies on the laptop, laying back into the
custom cushions. "They" all looked at me like I was crazy. The boat
wasn't leaking, wasn't in any danger at all....the ideal day at sea,
going nowhere. Maybe we'll have Red Snapper for dinner! We should be
near their grounds... The movie over, I got sleepy, not quite rested
from the Gulf Streamer Race of last night running along about as fast as
I've ever seen the big ketch move.

Geoffrey starting the Perkins for the long motor home woke me, our race
now over, our peace-with-the-sea broken. How awful....We should have
stayed. The wind came up the next day, around 11AM as the high pressure
system moved out of its normal Bermuda High position.....

Nuts.....

Some people should never be allowed to board SAILBOATS!

I agree. Man I hated it when our skipper would invite new people for
our afternoon sail and they always *had* to be back for one thing or
another by 1600 or 1700 hrs. If I had known ahead of time, I probably
would have bailed out myself. This was one of the reasons I dropped off
as a crew member and moved up to my own bigger boat.