John John is offline

Default HOW2 use old nautical almanacs without updating ?

Courtney Thomas wrote:
I just read that..... Moitessier showed Gau how to use old nautical almanacs
without updating.

Anyone know the particulars and how satisfactory this is ?

Thank you,

Courtney

As I recall, the instructions for doing this are printed in the
almanac- you can use an old copy for sun/stars but not for planets/moon
sights.
Small boat sailors used sun sights most of the time, anyway.
I'm pretty sure that both Moitessier and Gau would have been happy to
read the lat/lon from the GPS screen.....

John