posted to rec.backcountry,uk.rec.boats.paddle
jeslawrence jeslawrence is offline

Default eskimo roll

many thanks... (youre not by any chance related to Nick Clinch, climber?)
Im digging for evidence, and will come back if I find any... J

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
jeslawrence wrote:
Id like to learn more about how, and where that is done... couldnt find
anything in a number of kayaking sources on the web, so would appreciate
any clues!..

Not that /I/ make a habit of it, but capsizing deliberately and rolling
up in the wake of a wave is a recognised method in modern boats.

I know it's a valid tactic because my friendly neighbourhood coach (a very
experienced sea, river and surf paddler) has mentioned it as one when
we've been talking about negotiating surf in sea boats to get either in or
out of surf beaches. But this is the sort of stuff that's a bit Grown Up
for me!

ICBW, but I think the "where" is a wave big enough to have a good chance
of taking you out if you try and go through/over it, I guess something
with looping potential. Not tried it myself, I'm told that you need to
put a roll in on one side rather than the other to get a proper boost from
the wave.

Sorry not to be more help. I imagine it's at the sort of level where a
hoow-to on a web page is pretty much moot, so I'd talk directly with
advanced sea paddlers who have to cope with big surf for more details.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK