Default Volvo spare part on board

Your tip on bad fuel is very valuable.
During my last trip to Shelburne NS at the tail end of Hurricane Felix an
American sailboat coming from the US got stranded during the night sailing
across to Canada. Luckily, the Coast Guard took the boat in tow to
Shelburne before it got too rough.
The next morning we found out that the culprit was dirt in the diesel fuel.

"Howard" wrote in message
ervers.com...
I have a 23 year old Volvo MD7A, the fore runner to the M2030 I believe.
This boat was kept in Shelburne, and I have it in Sydney. You are right
about the dearth of parts sources.

The previous owner was meticulous with records and such. He gave me all
spares which included:
Impellers - he put the quick change cover on
the Volvo small spare parts kit
belts
filters
hand crank - the MD7A can be hand cranked

I found a guy selling parts from an MD7A and bought an alternator and lift
pump, because I could.

I got stranded with a bad load of fuel so I have added spare diesel in a
jerry can and enough fuel line so that I can disconnect the fuel line at
the filter and stuff the spare hose into the jerry can as a spare fuel
tank. Pouring good diesel into a fouled tank is no solution.

I also carry an assortment of sealants, epoxies, and assorted goos along
with lots of electrical tape and self amalgamating tape (Rescue Tape is
marketed for the Yachties.)

I would also recommend you get Nigel Calders book on small marine diesel
engines. Spare knowledge and someone to talk to helps at times.

Howard

wrote:
I am looking at buying a new boat with a M2030 Volvo diesel engine.
The situation in the Canadian Eastern Maritime is that the only Volvo
dealer makes his living with lobster fishermen and carry no part for
small diesel. If I buy that boat equipment with a Volvo diesel engine I
will have to carry parts on board. Not to mention that I will require
that shop manual and learn how to use it.
I would appreciate to receive some guide lines from Volvo owners as to
what to carry on board for spares and what to train myself for
maintenance and emergency repairs. TIA