jamesgangnc jamesgangnc is offline

Default Winches....

The straps are definately nice but I have one with a rope on it and I
have simply replaced the piece of rope when it started to fray. I know
that is a lot cheaper than buying a new strap.

I've never quite understood the weight ratings. Obviously you are not
lifting the 2000 lb boat so you do not really need a true 2000 winch
capacity. It seems unlikely that the rating truly means it can lift
2000 lbs of dead weight. My comealong appears to be far stronger than
my trailer winch yet is obviously working pretty hard when I lift the
small block out of my boat. And that is probably only 4 or 500 lbs of
dead weight.

Having bunks and always launching at pretty decent ramps means I really
only use my winch to pull the boat up the last foot or so and tighten
the bow against the bow roller. I doubt I ever really have more than a
few hundred pounds of actual tension on it. So I'd guess that your
usage dictates how big a winch you need as much as your boat size does.

There are some with two speeds that might better serve a more wide
range of launch and retrieval situations.

Tom wrote:
On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 22:00:09 -0400, "oelf92"
wrote:

I need to replace my winch. I have a 21' boat about 3000lbs.. The winch on
there now is rated 2000lbs.. I see 2000lbs winches on ebay for 14.99 but
then i see them @ westmarine and boatersworld for like $50-70... any
suggestions on brands? Also recommened lbs? I was thinking of getting a
2200-2300lbs winch...

Any benefit to strap or cable?

Don't know much about them but watch your ratio - some will require
more effort but winch up faster while others turn effortlessly but
take forever to winch up (slight exaggeration). Might also watch
handle length as they can vary considerably. There are some name
brands that have been around for a long time - Dutton Lainson, Fulton
come to mind as well as a lot of no-name imports. I prefer the strap
as cable tends to fray over time and can cut your hand pretty good if
you're not careful. Good luck.